The first ‘Made-in-India’ ŠKODA model to be exported; the third export from the India-specific MQB-A0-IN platform designed for the world
- Engineered in India and manufactured at the Group’s Chakan facility in Maharashtra, the ŠKODA KUSHAQ is built on the MQB-A0-IN platform customised for India
- Right-hand-drive (RHD) and left-hand-drive (LHD) versions of the ŠKODA KUSHAQ are being exported to markets, including Arab Gulf Cooperation Council (AGCC) countries and India sub-continent
- The Group exports Volkswagen and ŠKODA cars to 44 countries from India. These include South America, Central America, Africa, Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, AGCC countries and the Caribbean region
Pune, 3 October 2022: ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited (SAVWIPL), which manages the
Indian region of the five Volkswagen Group brands – ŠKODA, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini, has announced another significant milestone in its exports program with the start of the shipment of the Made-in-India ŠKODA KUSHAQ LHD (left-hand-drive). This is a landmark achievement, as the KUSHAQ is the first-ever locally-built ŠKODA model to be exported from India. The first consignment of KUSHAQ LHD SUVs is headed to Arab Gulf Cooperation Council (AGCC) countries.
Earlier this year, SAVWIPL had commenced the export of INDIA 2.0 cars with the Volkswagen Taigun SUV, followed by the Volkswagen Virtus sedan in September.
Commenting on the occasion, Mr Piyush Arora, Managing Director, ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited said, “It’s a proud moment for the team in India as a ŠKODA model joins the Group’s export line-up. The ŠKODA KUSHAQ is the third Made-in-India car to be exported this year, and we are happy that the Group’s endeavour to ‘Engineer cars in India to be Driven by the World’ is experiencing remarkable success. The market acceptance and success of all our exports highlight our global quality standards. The KUSHAQ is built in line with our customers’ requirements in India and globally, and we are confident that this stylish, well-equipped, robust and engaging-to-drive SUV will open doors to new markets and regions for SAVWIPL.”
SAVWIPL launched its export programme in 2011 with 6,256 units of the India-built Volkswagen Vento for the South African market. Since then, the company’s export market has continued to grow incrementally to build the Group’s ‘Made-in-India’ presence in 44 countries across South America, Central America, Africa, the Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, the AGCC countries, and the Caribbean region. The Group has already exported close to 5.5 lakh cars from India. Mexico is the largest export market for SAVWIPL, followed by South Africa and Central American countries (Columbia, Ecuador, Argentina), as well as ASEAN countries. The export business forms an essential part of the INDIA 2.0 strategy and enables SAVWIPL to sustainably maintain a healthy production share between domestic and export markets.
Back in February, SAVWIPL began exporting the Volkswagen Taigun, the first in the range of vehicles built on the MQB-A0-IN platform. The Group also celebrated an important milestone in its India journey in March 2022, having produced 15,00,000 units at its manufacturing facilities in Pune and Aurangabad, India. The Group recorded its highest-ever H1 sales in India, with 52,700 units sold from January to June 2022. Through the first six months of 2022, SAVWIPL’s sales were up 200% year-on-year.
|Sarmad Kadiri |
Group Communications, SAVWIPL
|Anand Mahesh |
ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited:
- Headquartered in Pune, ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited (SAVWIPL) is the new company that represents the passenger vehicle brands of Volkswagen Group in India
- SAVWIPL was formed following the merger of Volkswagen India Private Limited (VWIPL), ŠKODA AUTO India Private Limited (SAIPL), and Volkswagen Group Sales India Private Limited (NSC).
- The combined entity oversees the Indian operations of five brands – ŠKODA AUTO, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini.
- SAVWIPL operates two manufacturing facilities – at Chakan, Pune and Shendra, Aurangabad
- SAVWIPL is committed to India and will continue to serve Indian customers with an array of desirable, high-quality automobiles that reflect the needs of the Indian customer and their aspirations
- SAVWIPL’s division, ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab India is one of the 4 agile business innovation hubs for ŠKODA AUTO globally joining those based in Prague, Tel Aviv and Beijing. The division functions as a start-up collaborator in the IT industry, allowing SAVWIPL to sustainably strengthen its expertise in both innovation and digital development.
Read and know more about SAVWIPL at https://skoda-vw.co.in/