The first cars ever tested by Global NCAP to achieve 5 stars for Child Occupant Protection as well as 5 stars for Adult Occupant Protection
- SKODA KUSHAQ and Volkswagen TAIGUN – the safest vehicles for Child Occupant Protection ever tested by the Global NCAP
- SKODA KUSHAQ and Volkswagen TAIGUN – the first vehicles with 5 stars for Adult Occupant Protection as well as 5 stars for Child Occupant Protection
- First Vehicles tested according to the new, more demanding testing protocol by Global NCAP
Pune, 14 October 2022 – The INDIA 2.0 cars SKODA KUSHAQ and Volkswagen TAIGUN from SKODA AUTO Volkswagen India have been accredited with Global NCAP ratings of 5 stars, the highest in the
segment. With this recognition, the SKODA KUSHAQ and Volkswagen TAIGUN have become the first
models ever to achieve 5 stars for both adult and child occupant protection.
The Group’s INDIA 2.0 project set out to custom-make cars of European quality standards to cater to domestic and overseas markets. This global safety recognition underlines the Group’s focus on safety and showcases India’s manufacturing excellence on a global stage. This further endorses SKODA AUTO Volkswagen’s commitment to developing and offering #SaferCarsForIndia.
Commenting on this achievement, Piyush Arora, Managing Director and CEO of SKODA AUTO Volkswagen India said, “The Volkswagen Group has always focused on providing the highest level of safety across its model range. Safety has always been central to our R&D process. The Made-in-India, Made-for-India MQB-AO-IN platform is no exception. It has been internally tested for various impacts and is developed with a key focus on safety. This is an important milestone and a gratifying accomplishment for us, as both our INDIA 2.0 SUV models have achieved the pinnacle of global safety standards. Since the launch of the SKODA KUSHAQ and the Volkswagen TAIGUN, both cars have established a strong market presence and contributed significantly to the success of the brand and the Group in India. | am confident that this recognition will help continue our brands’ growth momentum.”
Christian Cahn von Seelen, Executive Director of Sales and Marketing, SKODA AUTO Volkswagen India
said, “For the Volkswagen Group, the safety of our customers and their loved ones is paramount. Safety in our cars is not an optional accessory, it forms the core of our DNA. The design, dimensions, and materials used in the cabin may differ among our car models, but one constant is our rigorous pursuit of keeping the driver and occupants safe in our cars. | am proud and humbled that a prestigious organisation like Global NCAP has acknowledged our efforts, awarding the highest safety ratings for the SKODA KUSHAQ and Volkswagen TAIGUN, especially the never attained level of child safety.”
Global NCAP’s updated crash test protocols assess frontal and side impact protection for all tested models, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), pedestrian protection and side impact pole protection assessments are also required for vehicles scoring the highest star ratings. Assessed in their most basic safety specification, with ESC fitted as standard, the models demonstrated a stable structure in the frontal impact, adequate to good protection for adult occupants and marginal to good protection in the side impact scenarios. Child occupants received full protection during the front and side impacts.
Every SKODA AUTO Volkswagen India model has been tailored to customers’ needs – from the design, driving experience, cutting-edge technology and latest features to class-leading safety. The Volkswagen Group has invested significantly in technology and facilities that contribute to increasing the safety of its vehicles.
The SKODA KUSHAQand Volkswagen TAIGUN come equipped with a range of active and passive safety
features. These include three-point seat belts with adjustable headrest for all passengers, Seat-belt Reminder for the front seats, up to six airbags, Roll-over Protection, ISOFIX for child protection, Hill Hold Control, Electronic Stability Control with ABS and Electronic Brake-force Distribution as standard, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Electronic Differential Lock System, Multi Collision Braking, Brake Disc Wiping and Rear Parking Sensor with camera — not to forget impact absorbing body components and Side Impact Protection Beam in the doors.
Riding on these strengths, both car brands have recorded exceptional sales growth in the region. In line with SAVWIPL’s strategy ‘Engineered in India and Driven by the World’, exports of the Volkswagen TAIGUN began earlier this year, while the SKODA KUSHAQ began being exported from India this month. Presently, SAVWIPL exports to 42 countries, including South America, the Indian Subcontinent, and the AGCC countries.
|Sarmad Kadiri |
Group Communications, SAVWIPL
|Anand Mahesh |
ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited:
- Headquartered in Pune, ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India Private Limited (SAVWIPL) is the new company that represents the passenger vehicle brands of Volkswagen Group in India
- SAVWIPL was formed following the merger of Volkswagen India Private Limited (VWIPL), ŠKODA AUTO India Private Limited (SAIPL), and Volkswagen Group Sales India Private Limited (NSC).
- The combined entity oversees the Indian operations of five brands – ŠKODA AUTO, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Lamborghini.
- SAVWIPL operates two manufacturing facilities – at Chakan, Pune and Shendra, Aurangabad
- SAVWIPL is committed to India and will continue to serve Indian customers with an array of desirable, high-quality automobiles that reflect the needs of the Indian customer and their aspirations
- SAVWIPL’s division, ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab India is one of the 4 agile business innovation hubs for ŠKODA AUTO globally joining those based in Prague, Tel Aviv and Beijing. The division functions as a start-up collaborator in the IT industry, allowing SAVWIPL to sustainably strengthen its expertise in both innovation and digital development.
Read and know more about SAVWIPL at https://skoda-vw.co.in/